Lemon cuckoo Roo x Lavender Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by texpainthorse, Mar 24, 2018.

1. texpainthorse

texpainthorse Chirping

May 20, 2014
    87F3B400-4FEE-4C8D-B088-1E9DB2B0147A.jpeg I crossed a Lemon Cuckoo Roo with a Lavender Hen and got this cute little pouty face!

2. MarcieR

MarcieR In the Brooder

Oct 17, 2017
    Central Ohio
    What a cutie! It will be fun to see how it turns out as it ages!

texpainthorse likes this.
  3. SHRanchHen

SHRanchHen In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    That chick is adorable!! Do you have any updated pix of how it feathered out? I'd love to see them!!

4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    agreed!!!

5. texpainthorse

texpainthorse Chirping

May 20, 2014
    He was pretty cute. Here he is in a grow out pen just now. Can't wait to see how he turns out. The hens from the same hatch are colored the same way and are all cuckoo as well.
    IMG_5623.JPG View attachment 1399605

SHRanchHen likes this.
  6. SHRanchHen

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    He is beautiful! I have a Lavender Ameraucana roo and just hatched some chicks crossed with a barred rock, a partridge rock and a Black Copper Marans, can't wait to see how they turn out!!! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more pix as he fills out!!!

texpainthorse likes this.
  7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    The ones crossed with your barred rock will be sex linked. The males will be barred and the females not, since you have a solid colored rooster over a barred hen.

8. SHRanchHen

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    Thank you Frazzemrat! I'm so confused by the coloration genetics. I've tried researching, I kind of understand recessive genes and having to have two copies...but how it applies when crossing with something else? I was getting lost! So, yes, thank you!

9. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    My understanding is that if you put a solid rooster (of any color) over a barred hen you get barred males and solid females. When you breed a barred rooster to a barred female the barring gene goes to each of the chicks, with the males receiving two and the females receiving one. When you put the solid male over the barred female, she can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring.

SHRanchHen likes this.
  10. texpainthorse

texpainthorse Chirping

May 20, 2014
    I'll run out and get a couple of pics to show what happened here this year. I bred my Solid Chocolate Orpington Rooster to my Chocolate Cuckoo hens to get a couple of Cuckoo Roosters. In 2 separate hatches, I got a cuckoo hen! I don't have a cuckoo rooster so this is a fluke! One of the hens was hatched completely naked like a regular bird. She has a crooked foot and I probably should have let her pass away. She will just be a pet. The other one is perfect in every way. I meant to ask about this before. The solid Chocolate Rooster came from a long line of Solid Chocolates, he isn't split. Going out to get pics to attach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: