Lemon Cuckoo Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jacob Temple, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

i am going to get a Lemon Cuckoo Rooster and i was wondering to keep the coloring do i need to breed him to a buff orpington

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    you will get a Cripier color on roosters as they will have only one copy of barring... or your question was, if you need to cross him to buff orps to produce more like him because he is the only one you will get?

3. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    how do i get more like him is the question

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    cross him to a Buff Orp hen and 100% percent of the chicks will be sex linked barred, hens will be B/- because they can only have one copy of barring and they get their sex linked sex chromosome from dad and the roosters will be B/b+ heterozygous barring, they will get one copy of their dad´s sex chromosome and one copy of their mother sex chromosome

5. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    Sorry i dont understand so are u saying the chcks will turn out like him

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    basically yes... genetically the males will only have one copy of the barring gene, this is good and kind of bad, good because it will make the barring a bit more crisp, but kind of bad because if you breed any of the male chicks to other buff orp hens only 50% of the chicks(males and females) will be barred...

7. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    is breeding him to a buff the best thing to do and will hen have that coloring to

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    well since you dont have another lemon cuckoo orp then yest the best thing you could do is breed him to buff orp hens, this will produce 100 percent lemon cuckoo orp hens and roosters

9. Jacob Temple

Apr 13, 2012
    ok thanks . I was out side and i got to thinking could i breed him to a buff cochin and them be checkered and then breed them back into the cochin to have some lemon Cuckoo

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    sounds like a good plan..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by