1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Lemon cuckoo silkies?? Possible?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, May 20, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a cuckoo pullet and a buff roo both the same age around 9 weeks-10 weeks old I know with the cuckoo pullet her offspring only males will be barred and females will not. If paired with a buff rooster is it possible that the offspring would be what I have seen some called lemon cuckoo or would it be buff cuckoo?? Any info about this would be great because I thought about breeding them together and seeing what I got from them when they are of age.

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I fed that breeding into the genetic calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
    and
    it came up with solid black or black cuckoo babies. If you did get to a lemon or buff barred bird, I think it would be hard to see because of the silkie feathering. it sounds fun though

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:It does sound fun...LOL I mean it couldn't hurt to try. Or I could breed some nice buffs now that I have my hands on some and try a cuckoo roo over a buff hen also. It will be along time before I could try it out unless I can find me a nice buff hen now.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Anyone else wanna jump in on this and give advice?

5. nzchicke

nzchicke Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    you would most likely only get the non-black (red gold etc) background colour in a cross of the offspring (2 generations) or backcross to buff silkie.
    The barring gene lightens the ground colour so they would be more of lemon colour, het Bb males would not be as light tho.
    I think that the pattern may not be so great as there is little contrast and would be smutty, I have never seen it in silkie feathering though!
    I would say red would be a better bet [​IMG] i wanna see some of those!

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I've seen a 'lemon cuckoo' orpington in person (at a show, less than two weeks ago) and I was most unimpressed. You could hardly see the pattern, you had to get up close and personal, otherwise it just looked like a buff. I imagine such a subtle pattern on a silkied feather would be practically invisible.

7. nzchicke

nzchicke Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    I breed lemon cuckoos. I love the pattern [​IMG] It is alot more subtle than the barring in black and white! also without slow feathering it can be very blured or not even visable.
    Here is a pic of one of my girls,
    [​IMG]

I specificly chose a female pic as males can be alot clearer/brighter. This girl is just 'middle of the range' in clear markings that I have bred this season

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  8. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    pretty girl. I have a lemon cuckoo orp cockerel ( he is kinda lonely) let me know if you ever have eggs [​IMG]

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I still thought about trying it....I thought about breeding my pullet cuckoo with a buff roo and keeping the best Offspring and breeding them back to cuckoo and buff and so on. It seems long and hard but I have thinned my flock alot to focus on some of the best silkies money can pay for. So I got room for projects [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by