Lemon scented wood shavings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by priss, Jan 8, 2011.

1. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I just got back from the pet store and found out that the wood shavings I have bought are lemon scented. I am thinking of not using them because I am wary of anything that might irritate my call ducks' lungs. Anyone have any idea if they are good, bad, ok?

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I would take them back and get hardwood unscented shavings. NO CEDAR!

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    We used lemon-scented straw for ages with our ducks and there were no problems...

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What?!? Ugh. I hate how they keep putting more and more chemicals in stuff instead of using common sense. I wouldn't use them. For odor control, I sprinkle baking soda under the shavings and then use un-scented hardwood shavings or straw.

Sorry. That's a pain, I know.

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I don't do anything for odor control, I find if it is cleaned regularly there shouldn't be any problems.

I would go and use the lemon scented wood shaving, and just don't buy them again, because they could be potentially harmful as iamcuriositycat implied. I agree that it could be in the long term, but short term they should be fine.

-Mark:)

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Thanks guys. I clean regularly and I only have four (got a new duck four weeks ago) call ducks in a nice big hut intended for 6-8 so odour control isn't an issue. I agree, why stuff things with chemicals? CLEAN YOUR darn PET ALREADY! I looked at the label, it says suitable for and then has a bunch of small mammals, bunnies, hamsters etc. I think...I'm going to just bin it. My four little ducks are my babies. I would never forgive myself. Thanks guys!!! It would have been easier but I'm not sure it's worth the risk!!!!
    Once again however, you guys are the BEST!!!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i have seen this before but aren't they just a novelty for rabbits guinea pigs and hamsters they you keep inside? dont they come in small expenise bag?

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I completely agree about hygiene & space being keys to odor control. I use baking soda when I'm brooding ducklings indoors. Even when I clean the brooder twice a day, those darn ducklings are STINKY. Baking soda completely eliminates the odor. Of course, I'm careful to make sure the baking soda doesn't come into contact with the birds--I worry that it might burn their little tootsies over time--but even buried under the bedding it works wonders.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Priss is in England, some products are different from what we are accustomed to.

Priss, I wouldn't use them either. Use them for lining a garbage bin, traction on ice, moth repellant in closets, scenting the car, anything but precious ducks.

ETA, put the shavings in bowls around the house and voila! Pot pourri! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]
    Thats 1 darn big bag of Pot Pourri I have ever seen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by