1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Length of broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmcgregor, Jan 8, 2008.

1. bmcgregor

bmcgregor New Egg

Jan 7, 2008
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I received my first flock of of layer hens as chicks in May. Late October I had one hen showing signs of broodiness. She's a buff orpington. She'd only been laying about a month. Her comb is still dull, not laying and I never see her out of the nest boxes unless I take her out. My flock is 13 hens. They have free range. There are 7 next boxes with fake eggs in the coop. I haven't got a rooster and don't plan to for a while. How and when will this hen stop. She has lost a lot of weight. I'm worried she won't survive if she doesn't stop. Furthermore, I had a second hen start the same behaviors a few days ago. If anyone has insight please let me know. Thanks

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I wish I could help but I've never had a broody before. I'm pretty sure that she'll probibly sit for at least 21 days cause that's as long as it takes to hatch an egg.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Breaking a Broody is a post I started awhile back when one of our Banty Mottled Cochins went broody on us, just as the weather was beginning to turn cold.

Now, I have 2 Blue Silky girls who have been taking turns going broody, one after the other. It takes about 3 days of cold air on their fannies, in chicken jail ( a wire-bottomed rabbit hutch) to break them. She won't break herself, you'll have to do it for her. You might want to move the food and water closer to her also, to make sure she's eating and drinking.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by