Length of Safeguard liquid water treatment?

ironsightfarm

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
New Hampshire
Hey all!

Got instructions from my vet on how to administer Safeguard 10% liquid goat dewormer to my flock (3ml / 1 gallon of water). I cannot find consistent information anywhere on how long to treat the water for - 1 day? 3? 5? Also, I was not instructed to retreat with liquid wormer, only if I used paste, but I'm wondering if anyone retreats when liquid Safeguard is used.

Egg withdrawal periods seem to range from 14 - 17 days. Better to be safe and go the longer recc.?

Thanks as always!

The dosing your vet prescribed is not accurate. Safeguard (besides Aquasol) itself is not water-soluble, and if left will eventually sink to the bottom thus promoting inaccurate dosing. The 3ml per gallon dosing is also way below the dose you want for worms. Dosing the birds 0.23ml per pound, orally for five days would be indicated if you want to correctly deworm the birds.

Hey all!

Got instructions from my vet on how to administer Safeguard 10% liquid goat dewormer to my flock (3ml / 1 gallon of water). I cannot find consistent information anywhere on how long to treat the water for - 1 day? 3? 5? Also, I was not instructed to retreat with liquid wormer, only if I used paste, but I'm wondering if anyone retreats when liquid Safeguard is used.

Egg withdrawal periods seem to range from 14 - 17 days. Better to be safe and go the longer recc.?

Thanks as always!
I agree with @Isaac 0 the very best way to treat your flock would be individually by weight.
I'm not understanding your vet's line of thinking about liquid vs. paste? Did they explain why you couldn't use liquid Fenbendazole after the first dose?
I really think you should re-read your instructions or have your vet clarify their instructions (Ask Questions!) I have been seeing this type of thing recently where folks go to the vet, but info is questionable. Seems there is a lack of communication between Vet and Patient, not sure what's going on.

Anyway, if you want to just ignore the vet - Dose for Safequard Liquid Goat Wormer OR Safeguard paste is the SAME - they are just in different forms (liquid or paste)
Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days. There is no follow up dosing.

IF, IF you can't for some reason individually dose your flock, you can make a mash out of the Safeguard. Info for that is in the link below. This will treat roundworms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

I agree with @Isaac 0 the very best way to treat your flock would be individually by weight.
I'm not understanding your vet's line of thinking about liquid vs. paste? Did they explain why you couldn't use liquid Fenbendazole after the first dose?
I really think you should re-read your instructions or have your vet clarify their instructions (Ask Questions!) I have been seeing this type of thing recently where folks go to the vet, but info is questionable. Seems there is a lack of communication between Vet and Patient, not sure what's going on.

Anyway, if you want to just ignore the vet - Dose for Safequard Liquid Goat Wormer OR Safeguard paste is the SAME - they are just in different forms (liquid or paste)
Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days. There is no follow up dosing.

IF, IF you can't for some reason individually dose your flock, you can make a mash out of the Safeguard. Info for that is in the link below. This will treat roundworms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
I heard about using a mash - it will provide the same benefits as administering individually?

The dosing your vet prescribed is not accurate. Safeguard (besides Aquasol) itself is not water-soluble, and if left will eventually sink to the bottom thus promoting inaccurate dosing. The 3ml per gallon dosing is also way below the dose you want for worms. Dosing the birds 0.23ml per pound, orally for five days would be indicated if you want to correctly deworm the birds.
Vet also recc. Aquasol but man is that stuff expensive :(

She didn't mention not using it after the 1st liquid dose, it just wasn't indicated. Only for the paste! I've learned that her instructions are the same outlined on PoultryDVM...

Back
Top Bottom