1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

length of time between worming products

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by melissa508, Oct 30, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I think its time to do another safeguard worming since the loss of my 5mth pea.

I used wazine a week ago, how soon can i safely use the the safeguard?..and jus to double check- is it recomended to use this for just 1 day, or longer?--thanks

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    You can use it any time as it is a totally different chemical, and way better I might add.
    I beleive, 3 days is best on safeguard, doseage would depend on all birds age, orally is best, it's not water soulable.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:How are you giving it to make sure of the dosage ? The safeguard I bought is a big tube syringe. I have been pushing some into a 3cc syringe so I can measure it. I was just wondering if there is an easier way to do it.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Safe Guard you can mix it with water, 3 cc per. gal. Dont use the paste.

Melissa I only worm them three time a year. Never use the Wazine.

Ivomec one tratment, last 30 days.
    then I use Safe guard for 3 days then 3 days again 10 to 14 days later.

May, late Aug. and Early Nov.

You maybe worming to much.

5. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Safe Guard you can mix it with water, 3 cc per. gal. Dont use the paste.

Yes, I have the liquid Safeguard for goats. My peas waterer was constantly being knocked over by them, but since I opened up their pen, I have it in a much better place now. Im actually wondering if they may not have got enuf of the safeguard when i used it a couple of months ago- I used it for 1 day, it was 3cc in their gal waterer, but it was tipped over & I was afraid to OD them..so i didnt give them anymore.

*Worming my birds is all new to me, I never knew it needed to be done until I started reading this forum.

I gave my chixens the wazine & have always used the ivermec since it controlls mites & lice so well- SOme relatives of mine have several chixens in my barn since they got the fever..theirs have been dropping like flies, whenever I find one of theirs dead or dying its always the same thing- very thin, no meat on the breast- I wonder if its ok to give them the safeguard also?​

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    It's good for most any type of fowl. By the way, the Wazine only treats large round worms, so not really effective as a broad spectrum wormer.
    And, yep SWHEAT, use the liquid form (drench for goats) . Paste would be fine orally I would think.

7. jensen

jensen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    I have a neighbor who is a veterinarian. He said to wait a couple weeks between treatments with different wormers and most important to follow directions for particular product for what that's worth

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Can this same regimen be used for chickens as well? [​IMG]

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes, but not sure if you can eat the eggs. Wouldnt eat eggs untill after 30 days when using the ivomec...

10. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Well that shouldn't be a problem as they aren't laying anything for me still. Are you going to the show Saturday?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by