1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lenny the bobcat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kari_dawn, Oct 28, 2011.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I inadvertently hyjacked a thread by someone about their adorable kitties playing in a shallow bathtub of water by posting a picture of my "kitty" lounging in a shallow pool. So, I figured I would start a thread about the one and only Lenny the bobcat.

[​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I saw his pic on the other thread. I am glad you started this one. He is too cute not to share. [​IMG]

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    he is a doll...if you are me [​IMG] he is kindof a poo to everyone else...

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Awwww He's a big kitty.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Yep, he is super big for a member of the southern sub-species...they get bigger and beefier the further up north you go. He gets HUGE in the winter time. They aren't as interested in food in the hot summer months.

6. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:What does he eat?
    I am almost sure a couple cans of cat food is not enough for him [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ha ha not even close...a happy predatory cat is one that isn't hungry! Bobcats eat about two pounds of meat a day...depending on the weather, they can eat more. Ours get as much whole natural diet as we can get either donated or purchased (which, purchased is rarely, because we are non-profit, and lately, there aren't a lot of donations out there).

We found a producer that accepts gift card donations from people that allow us to provide things that they would naturally eat...like quail and rats (frozen and thawed of course) among other things.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...and there is a lot of really expensive suplements that we provide in addition.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hes beautiful. [​IMG]

Do you raise quail? (super easy to raise ) or rabbits, chickens, heck even mice/rats breed like crazy..... that would help cut down your food costs somewhat....

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    well, most of our diet is donated (good thing too! We have around 30 bobcats in our program right now. Most of them are in the release program, a few in the education program, and a few in the sanctuary program). We have to be careful about feeding live...rehabbing predators puts us in a tough spot. We have to balance animal rights and allowing their wild instincts to kick in...we do not feed live, though we did raise some quail...no luck hatching the eggs...they never seem to live past two week old chicks...we are a wildlife center, so we also rehab other species...many of them are too injured for us to save...the ones that do not end up pulling through (especially squirrels and cotton tails, and other prey animals that stress really easily), and did not die of an illness, generally get fed back to the cats...they LOVE squirrels.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by