1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lentils raw?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by snowflake, May 17, 2011.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    looking for something to add to scratch, any one give dry split peas or dry lentils?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Lentils, no. Generally any raw bean (and lentils are a bean), dried or not, is considered toxic to birds. Split peas are ok.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Lentils & split peas can be fed raw with no ill effect. They are some of the few legumes with low levels of the trypsin (?) inhibitor. Peas are regularly fed raw to pigeons in pigeon grain mix. I have fed both with no problem. If you google lentils & peas, you can read the literature on poultry feeding.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] THANK YOU!! I don't feed a lot of scratch this time of year, but it is a good way to get them in the run if they are free ranging, and it keeps them coming when they see me, or any one near the coop(we like that [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by