Leopard gecko question... Please any info will be great

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by andrea98, Dec 21, 2011.

1. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    I have a question.. When the female becomes gravid will she act sluggish & look plump? She just seems super tired... She has been restless too , laying on the back side of the water dish( not in the water) & in & out of their moist moss container .. Than over on to the heat mat.... She is just acting strange well at least to me she does.. She should be about 18-24 months old ( I got them in April & the girl said they were a little over a year old then) Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. (I just noticed this today, she ate yesterday & acted fine)

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Is she pooping? What substrate do you have them on? What's the temp in your enclosure?

3. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    75-80,. I just cleaned the poop out yesterday & there were 2 piles today & it was sand ., I soaked her in warm water for about 10 mins & took the sand away now it's just newspaper & they have a dish of calcium d3 & are fed mealworms ( switched from crickets)

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I've never heard of that, no... you do have an under tank heater, correct?

5. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Yes there is a heater under the tank & a light above that is on during the day

6. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I don't believe being gravid will be the cause of such behavior. Now, I've heard of it being the behavior of a gravid female about to lay eggs... have you exposed her to a male? Some females will become gravid without the presence of a male but as I understand it, that's uncommon.

If she's gravid, it will be easy to see the eggs on the underside of her belly through her skin.

7. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Yes she is with a male .. She has white spots bit just not sure they are eggs... I guess I shall see what happens .. Maybe she's just fat lol

8. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Is he over-sexing her? She could be refusing him and he is persisting or she's just tired and restless. I would never house just one male and one female together.... colonies should only consist of 1 male to 4-5 females, and even then many breeders give them breaks.

9. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    I have never seen them mate.. They were sold to me as both males. They dont have the same rear end parts.. One is smaller & when I have posted to a breeder she said it was male & female.. They do not fight . They often sleep together either in the log where their heat mat is or in the moss hide . There was only one poop in the cage today so far but she don't seem so plump so maybe she just needed to poop [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. andrea98

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Correction .. Mating tonight .. Caught them in the act . First time I seen it .. If my husband acted like that he would have a black eye & be homeless!! Lol any way they seem to be doing ok now .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by