Lesion on Leg

SillyJilly

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2016
Wisconsin
Last week I noticed one of my girls limping. The limping has gotten progressively worse to the point she won't put any weight at all on it now. Today I noticed this bump on her leg that looks to be infected. Any ideas on what it might be or what i can do for her?

This is the bump

Last week I noticed one of my girls limping. The limping has gotten progressively worse to the point she won't put any weight at all on it now. Today I noticed this bump on her leg that looks to be infected. Any ideas on what it might be or what i can do for her?
Can you take her to a vet?
How old is she?
Is this at the joint or right below?

It could be an impacted feather follicle/feather cyst or injury that has gotten infected. It's also possible that it could be due to illness like Mycoplasma S, but usually the hock would have an oozing/bubbling sore right at the joint.

You may want to soak the leg in a warm bath with epsom salts. If you don't have vet care, you could try to see what's under the scabs. You can either pull them off after soaking or apply colorless (clear) Iodine, let it dry for a couple of days then remove the scab to see what's underneath. She may have some pus in there, if so, try to get all you can out, then pack with antibiotic ointment. It may need to be cleaned out again. You may need antibiotics to treat any infection. Check with your local feed store to see what they have available or ask your vet if they can give you a prescription.

Keep her hydrated and offer poultry vitamins in her water.

Just my thoughts. Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom