Lesions on Hen's Mouth!

Beastmaster

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 26, 2013
Rootstown, Ohio
My 1 1/2 year old Ancona named Barbara is having dry bumpy lesions around her mouth. Here are the details:

She seemed with withdrawn and lethargic about a month ago. At closer inspection, I noticed small bumps around the corners of her mouth. She has been quarantined ever since. After a 14 day cycle of antibiotics, she is eating hardily, gaining weight, active, and back to herself. She however still has the bumps around her beak.

Her treatment consists of cleaning the area with Iodine and water supplement with Avia charge 2000. She is fed Nutreana feeds and is given access to fresh greens. She has been dewormed recently and is mite free.

I suspect it may be fowl pox, but there are no other signs of it near her eyes, comb, or legs. It doesn't look like a canker because her mouth and throat is clear. She seems fine, but I do not want to release her back to the general population until those bumpy lesions are gone. I have tried to identify this via the web and various books but can't seem to make connection to another similar disease.

Any help would be appreciated.

The photos that I saw looked a bit different than the lesions that she has. It could be fowl pox, but I would have expected it to be cleared up after a few weeks. We are approaching week 5.

Thanks for your input:)

We are approaching 2 months with Barbara being quarantined. Her lesions are dry and hard and have not progressed or changed in a month. She is eating and active. Do you think I can put her back into the general population?
She doent appear to have fowl pox, I would of thought if it was the bumps would of cleared up by now. She has no signs of mites and was recently dewormed . I have no idea what this is. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom