Less messy Genotype Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ducks and Banny hens, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I posted this question along with a couple of others on a different thread, but it is being completely ignored, so I'm concisely asking it here:
    What is the genotype of Ruddy? (chicken)

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I dont' know, but let me google it and I'll get back to you.. or can you post a pic of them here.. I can go by looks most of the time...[​IMG]

sorry nothing yet..

can you describe how they look? I could use that too

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Are you in the USA?? Personally, I've never heard those terms before. I saw the other thread you had. Can you post pics as to what you are talking about?? That may help get things rolling for you. [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I haven herd of a Ruddy as a pattern of or a chicken.

I've herd of a Ruddy Duck.

Chris

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Well, Ruddy is a color pattern that I've seen on the Feathersite and the Dutch Feathersite occuring in breeds like Javanaise, Seramas, and EEs. The hens kinda look like Brassyback or Quail, but the cocks look wildtype.

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    That would be what the germans call "wildfarbig", directly translated as: wildcolor.
    The german bantam is an example of a breed where this is the main color.

e+ plus unknown melanizers (black enhancers) . Maybe melanotic or charcoal.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Can I ask you another question? Genetically, how is it different from Brassyback? It is different from Brassyback, because Brassy cocks are black with gold saddles, but the hens are just like ruddies. Maybe brassybacks carry 2 melanin enhancers?

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Can I ask you another question? Genetically, how is it different from Brassyback? It is different from Brassyback, because Brassy cocks are black with gold saddles, but the hens are just like ruddies. Maybe brassybacks carry 2 melanin enhancers?

Brassy Backs are Black Breasted Red with Recessive Black added.

Chris

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands

Brassybacks may have a different melanizer. Eg if ruddies have melanotic, they may have charcoal. Or vice versa.
    Or indeed one extra melanizer, maybe both melanotic and charcoal.

Over here in Holland brassy backs are wheaten based but the hens look different (black hackle and tail, wheaten body)

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

Brassy Backs are Black Breasted Red with Recessive Black added.

Chris

do you know what is Diluting the "Red" into Golden looking feathers?
    [​IMG]

here is a blue one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by