less than 2 yr hold hen not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by closetfan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. closetfan

closetfan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Almost 2 years ago I purchased 4 hens. Black Astrolorp, RIR, and 2 Easter eggers. Last summer the RIR died suddenly, so I picked up two more Easter egger chicks.
    Come fall the 3 older ladies did their molting and stopped laying. One of the youngsters started.
    By Jan everyone started laying. But the Atrolorp laid about 4 eggs then stopped. It's now mid March, and she still hasn't started back up yet. She laid eggs most of last winter when she was just 6-9 mos old. I'm in NJ and while we did have a harsh winter, last year was worse. And we've had some really nice warm days recently.

Any ideas?

She looks and acts healthy. they all do. (I do not have a rooster)

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Do they free range? She may have found a "better" place to lay her eggs.

3. closetfan

Mar 20, 2015
    No. They are cage free but not Free range.

4. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You must waite longer. I would edd some hot chilly flakes (2 tablespoons for one kilo of feed) and mabe consider deworming treatment.

5. closetfan

Mar 20, 2015
    Already regularly dewormed.

6. closetfan

Mar 20, 2015
    Ok, it's now mid April, we have 50-70 degree weather. She laid about 1/2 doz eggs since the beginning of this post. Not a prolific layer at all. All the Easter Eggers are going to town with laying. I have a total of 5 hens. The BA and 4 EEs. I am getting 3-4 green eggs a day. Maybe 1 brown a week if I'm lucky. She's a big bird, looks and acts very healthy. Doesn't seem broody. Wormed regularly. Given crushed eggshells several times a week, grit daily. I feed chicken crumbles (Dumor from TS) as well has access to a protected 10x10 area of fresh grass.

So, what's your thoughts? She can't be too old at less than 2 yrs can she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by