less than a day old chick walking on 'ankles' with foot twisted back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reneers84, Aug 12, 2011.

1. reneers84

reneers84 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    I'm sorry if there is an answer for this already, but I couldn't find anything to address my specific concern. I ordered button quail eggs from ebay and the eggs started hatching yesterday. One chick hatched out this morning and couldn't really walk, his feet were curled in. We splinted his feet with medical tape and two small pieces cut out of an index card, but his feet were bending backwards and he couldn't walk/stand so we took them off. Now hes up and running around just like the other chicks, standing an everything on completely bent backwards feet. His 'ankles' are in front on the ground with his feet bent all the way back straight under him. How do I fix this and should I even try?? He can get around just fine. I'm afraid if i try to correct it, I will somehow make it worse. He can stand now on his ankles and run around with the rest of them with his bent backwards curly-toed feet. What should I do? Thanks!

2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    A picture would help. That sounds like my chick. She hatched with a twisted foot, but is doing fine. Does it look something like this:

[​IMG]

This picture is old, her foot is now completely twisted around, but still...

3. reneers84

reneers84 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Nope, both of his feet are completely backwards straight under him. He walks directly on the front part of his legs where the feet connect. Its like the joint is backwards. I don't know how to describe it. It looks like a backwards 'L' if that helps. I'll try to take a picture.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    I'd like to see....try to get some pics up. If you don't want to mess with the feet, don't. My chick can hardly walk because the deformity twisted all the bones in her leg around, but she is so friendly and peppy and full of life, I couldn't put her down when the vet suggested it. If your chick has no other problems and can get around fine, just leave it be. However, you may need to wrap up the parts of her feet that are touching the ground because she will get blisters and sores.

6. reneers84

reneers84 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that I did this right. Little bugger is quick and wouldn't hold still. lol I think I will call him Roadrunner. I finally put him on top of the brick in the brooder to get these pics. Sorry that the pics aren't better and thanks for the help! I just don't know whether to splint it all straight, including the legs and set him near food/water or what. When we splinted the feet, both splints folded backwards and the paper was under his rump basically after we let him go, but he couldn't move and the other chicks were picking him him. They don't bother him now. Think he would live just fine if I leave his feet this way? Thanks for all the help and the link!

7. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    I you want to get a clearer pic, you could hold the chick. I don't know, but it worked for me. Anyway, just wrap up the backs of his feet so they don't get sore, but if hes doing fine, well, he should be ok.

8. reneers84

reneers84 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    I tried to hold him, but he kept squirming and pulling his legs up. I was afraid of hurting him. What do I cover his feet with? He's slightly bigger than a penny and his legs are very very tiny. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have non-skid shelf liner in the bottom of the brooder. I really do appreciate the help.

Edited to fix a typo.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Go to any tractor supply store or agway and get vetrap. Its like an ace bandabe and it sticks to itself. You can cut it as small or as thin as you need it. Just don't pull it or anything, wrap it around the feet without tension on the wrap. Plus it's cheap. 3 dollars at most for like 2 yards or something like that. Don't quote me on it though!

10. reneers84

reneers84 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    I think I know just the place to go for that. Thank you very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by