1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Less than successful rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by IcarusSomnio, Sep 19, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    My big BCM roo has two hens currently, a bantam Cochin and a standard Cochin. Every morning when I let him out, he'll crow a few times then go on the mighty Hen Chase. He's sometimes able to grab hold, but usually can't keep his grip on the dashing hen. After a minuet or two of crowing an chasing, he tends to give up and go about foraging.

He never crows otherwise...do you think he's getting the job done? If I can convince my banty to go broody I'll see if her eggs are fertile. They looked fertile (little white doohicky in the yolk) when I cracked one. She's not a super layer though, so I usually just toss whatever she's laid to the dogs. Be interesting to see what comes from the crossing of a Partridge Cochin banty and a BCM roo [​IMG]

I find it hysterical how every morning he'll puff himself WAAAAY up, do his little crow (he really doesn't have a loud crow) then try to ambush a hen. He should have fun with the tiny little Old English (at least I THINK she's an Old English) Bantam hen. She's smaller than the Cochin and devilishly fast.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you are getting the little dohickey, I think that they are fertilized, my question is why are you throwing them to the dog? Do you not eat your eggs [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Mrs. K :

If you are getting the little dohickey, I think that they are fertilized, my question is why are you throwing them to the dog? Do you not eat your eggs [​IMG]

Yes! [​IMG] The Banty is just so irregular with her egg laying, and her eggs are so small (she's rather tiny) that it's not really worth keeping her eggs for eating at the moment. By the time you'd have enough for a single breakfast, half would already be bad [​IMG] I think she only lays...twice a week. Once my other girls start laying as well, then I'll be keeping them all though.

Quote:Thank you! Perhaps I'll have some pictures of cute little BCM x Cochin chicks to show soon! [​IMG]

5. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Quote:Silly boy. You'd think he'd have learned by now that it's a lot easier to ambush the hen if he DIDN'T crow first! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by