Less than week old chick looks up for food and pecks other chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckled6, Apr 16, 2017.

1. speckled6

speckled6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    Hi all,
    I am brand new to chicks. I have a mixed flock. One of my barred rocks is the runt and we can't get her to look down for food.
    She walks around, literally through the soft mash (chick starter mixed w/water and probiotics) to peck at other chicks like she's trying to get crumbs off their down or feathers.
    We've isolated her and tried to show her where the food/water is, but she just won't eat it.
    I got her a chick stick to hang in her box yesterday and she pecked at that/eating for a long time, but she seems to try to peck as high as she can to get food. She will stand and stretch as far as she can and pecks at it towards the top.
    She's not blind as she will peck at the lighter spots or bits of pine shavings on the other chicks.
    Any thoughts on how to help out little girl learn to eat is much appreciated.
    Some info that may be helpful:
    She hatched on 4/11/17
    She is 1 of 7 chicks that we added to the other 16 we had that hatched the day before. (Original flock is from Meyer, shipped to us, the others including our runt came from a store in a nearby town)
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of what she normally looks like? Is her neck stuck with her head upward, or does she move her neck all around normally? I have had baby chicks who would go around constantly pecking at shiny eyes annoying the others. But after a nights' separation she stopped. I might try some chick vitamins with minerals, such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 1 ml orally every day. If you can take a shovel and go outside to dig up a small bit of sod with grass growing on it, they would probably enjoy pecking at it. Get some chick grit to throw around to help digest the grass.

3. speckled6

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not good w/posting pics as yet, but she walks normally, holds her head normally. She's very spritely considering she hasn't been eating much. My son said he's seen her drink and I was able to get about half an eye dropper of nutridrench in her this morning.
    She keeps going back to the chick stick and she's eaten quite a bit it seems.
    We've put her in the brooder w/the rest of the chicks since the pecking she's been doing isn't causing any harm to the other chicks and we're hoping she will pick up on eating w/them from seeing what they do.
    Thanks again for the reply. I'll keep up with the nutridrench and update as she (hopefully) progresses.

4. speckled6

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    Update:
    Our Runty started eating!
    We have her the chick stick to peck at and separated her from the rest last night. This morning she was cheeping so loud missing her friends and she showed no signs of weakness or illness (hasn't ever) so we put the chick stick in the brooder and put her back with the other chicks.
    I also gave her some nutridrench with a dropper this morning.
    Now, this evening, she's eating from the dry food (little butt stuck in the air b/c she's so small she almost has to climb in it!) She's also started eating the wet food mash.
    I was so thrilled to see her eating. It's such a relief. Hopefully she's cleared the hurdle now and my experience will help someone else if they have the same situation.
    I'm so very glad to be a part of this community!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yea, that is great news. Sometimes it just takes a night of separation to straighten things out. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by