Lesson learned: Don't give up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crabella, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    I've had 3 of my hens go broody. The last one was sitting on one lonely little egg. I've lost track of the time that I have gone out to gather eggs and momma has been sitting on the wrong nest, and this poor little egg cold. [​IMG] Guess the nest with multiple freshly laid eggs looked more promising. [​IMG] Anyway, several times I have either moved her back to the original nest, or moved the egg to her. I really did not think it would hatch, after all of this, but decided that I would wait until Thursday or Friday, just in case. Well, that little egg hatched today, right on time. [​IMG] Just goes to show we should not give up too soon. May have to name this one Sparky, or maybe Lucky. Photo to follow later! [​IMG]

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    awww.....aren't you proud of her?

3. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Ummm.... not really? It's more like the egg hatched in spite of her. Just hope she takes care of it, now that it has hatched. I do know if she ever goes broody again, I will move her out of the coop, to a segregated area so she is not so disturbed so much. Next year, this coop will be the designated broody/isolation ward. The new coop will be larger, and have a bigger storage area and the ability to separate into two coop areas when desired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by