Lessons learned

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickengene, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Chickengene

Chickengene Songster

Feb 21, 2019
    East TN
    What was the hardest lesson you were taught or had to learn in your first year of raising backyard chickens?
    I have been very blessed so mine was learning that giving them snacks everytime they came around wanting it, was probably not really helping either of us.

2. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    That the first egg is expensive! That a coop built from scratch takes 5x longer to build than expected.

3. Chickengene

Chickengene Songster

Feb 21, 2019
    East TN
    Are you able to free range your chickens? I was beginning to think the price of farm fresh eggs were going to be outrageous, till I started letting the girls free range. Immediately cut my feed consumption about 75%.

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Happy Easter! :bun
    My hardest lesson was how to stop crying after loosing your very first (in my case two at once) chick! :hit

Chickengene likes this.
  5. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    LOL! feed is cheap compared to the cost of the coop build! And we didn't do anything fancy, but did buy new materials for the coop (elevated) and associated deck and stairs.

The run is pretty big, and we do let them out to free range in the yard, but since we don't have a fence up to contain them (outside of the run), we only do supervised free range out of respect for the neighbors - none of whom have fences.

[email protected] likes this.
  6. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Rooster issues.When I was a young kid I wanna we told to separate both of them (Father and son situation )Things has got tensed Over the past weeks and they begun fighting and one morning when I released them form coop I ran inside without separating the two birds and came back to the son with both his eyes spurred out and a sprained neck,I needed up having to shoot him myself, lesson learned.

khind and [email protected] like this.
  7. Chickengene

Chickengene Songster

Feb 21, 2019
    East TN
    Yeah I am blessed. I am surrounded on two sides by pasture and woods to the rear.

Acre4Me likes this.
  8. Chickengene

Chickengene Songster

Feb 21, 2019
    East TN
    How do I "unlike" that one?

khind likes this.
  9. Rooster_Tyranny

Rooster_Tyranny Songster

Sep 2, 2018
    Utah
    You can't have all the breeds you want.

If a chicken jumps out of the run they'll likely do it again. One dead chicken later...

Chickengene likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: