let Fighting Rooster out? HOW to keep chickens from roosting in barn?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jaynie, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jaynie

jaynie New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    I have two problems with no clue of solution.
    First, my rooster's son beat him up this spring so I caught poor half-dead old Dad and cooped him with one hen. He paces constantly...is there ever a good time to let him out again? Will they fight year-round? The son and flock are free range.

Which brings me to my 2nd problem. My free range flock roosts in the barn and is making an awful mess. They primarily roost on the rafters over the stall fronts. Has anyone used a non-roost product?
    I have way too many chickens - the big coop and chicken tractor are full and I wish there were a cost effective way to lock up the free range guys at night, but I can't afford to build anymore coops. The barn works and is good shelter in winter, but the mess is making life less fun on the farm.
    thanks for reading, and any suggestions. meanwhile, I plan to search and destroy ALL EGGS from now on!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Did they stop fighting on their own or did you have to break them up??? Unless you have one of the fighting breeds (games) I've read that they usually establish their own pecking orders, and it seems like dad lost the fight. I don't know if that's true, that's just what I've read. how many roos do you have???

3. jaynie

jaynie New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    I have three roosters - one, a duck-wing bantam, has his own coop and girls - he is tiny, smaller than a pigeon.
    The other two are regular size bantams.
    If I thought those two would work out a pecking order I would feel better. When they fought this spring the Dad got a very bad beating. I don't want to see that again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by