1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Let her be broody or break her?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thassa, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    I have a Silkie hen that keeps going broody. I am getting some chicks on April 12/13 that I want to be raised by hens if possible. Should I let her stay broody or break her of it and hope she gets that way again in 3 weeks?

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I would let her stay. It usually takes 21 days for eggs to hatch. So if she is on dummy eggs and then in 21 days they turn into chicks it will all seem meant to be. That is just what I would do in your situation but I have never put this into action so hopefully someone who has grafted chicks will chime in.

3. Thassa

Thassa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Adirondack Park, NY
    That is what I was thinking. I took away todays eggs that she was sitting on and put a dummy under her. I'll have to see if hubby has any golf balls laying around. I plan on only giving her 1-2 chicks because she is such a tiny little thing, the chicks will outgrow her fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by