Let me introduce you to our sweet blind girl <3

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SonSet Farm, Jan 11, 2013.

1. SonSet Farm

SonSet Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Country girl living in the city, my small backyard flock brings me joy everyday. It has become an amazing hobby me and my husband enjoy doing together, with our son. We each play our roll, our creative son is always inventing a new and original chicken coop invention, I have a new idea or wish a day, and my husband just smiles and makes it happen. He is continually building something or searching for what we need. Today, I am going to introduce you to our 'favorite'. We realized one day, our sweet RIR is blind. But that does not stop her from being one of the girls. He favorite thing to do however, is hang with the people. If was are outside she is between our legs. If we are sitting she is napping with us. If we come inside, she stands at the back door looking through the glass into the livingroom waiting for us. That particular habit gains her a great deal of yummy treats and snacks lol. BYC...meet Big Red [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She lays an egg about everyday, and all she asks in return is to be one of the people. Our Rhode Island Red is our, BackYard Chicken of the day!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Awwwww. She looks very happy. She is blessed to have you to care for her. Thanks for sharing

3. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Thank you =) She is a sweetie! Thank you...for posting!!

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Red is so darling. I know there are just some special chickens that especially warm the heart.

I had friendly hen named Red, who was blind in one eye who looked like your Big Red. She also loved water melon.

5. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    I hope to always have a fun flock that is perfect just because they are themselves =). (that being said, I dream of some perfect jubilee's also!! haha) thank you for checkin' out Big Red [​IMG]

6. aww she is so sweet and happy looking how long have you had and were did you get her?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  7. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    So sweet! She is a lucky girl to have such a great family !:)

8. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    For years my husband and I would say...we should get some chickens, but 'chicken' out every time! One day as we grabbed some food for our dog at the feed store, they had the cutest chicks way to close to the check out lol. We did it [​IMG]and Big Red (and a few others) came home with us! That was ooo about 1 1/2 years ago. Best thing we ever did! We have never looked back, and have our eyes set on some favorite breeds we have picked out. But I think the original girls, esp. Big Red, will always be our favorite.

9. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Thank you for checking out Big Red! Isn't BYC the best!!

10. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Awwww such a smart girl she is to know that the humans are the ones to love and protect her. Wish you many years of enjoyment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by