Let me show you how it's done.....

DramaBrahmaMama

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Knoxville, IA
So.... I went out to water the flowers at the coop this morning. I couldn't find R2D2 anywhere.... turns out, he was inside the coop. I looked in the window and asked him if he was taking a break. He's been a busy guy... Learning to crow... mating as many of the hens as he can catch... and being an all-around weirdo. Then he goes to the door, and softly clucks out towards the run. Within seconds, in comes Flo, my most developed Barred Rock. She goes right over to the corner of the coop and begins scratching and situating. So, R2D2 goes over and kicks all the woodchips out of the corner till you can see bare floor. Then he proceeds over to the egg box, gets in, and begins fluffing the bedding around. Flo is intently watching him. He burrows his big 'ol self down and makes a perfect indent, all the while, still softly clucking at her.... Then he gets out, and she gets in and lays down.
Now, I realize that I may have enjoyed the 90s waaaaay more than I should have... but I think he was teaching her that the box is where she is to lay.... And I feel like the conversation went like this....

"Listen, lady.... I'll just show you! Because if you don't start giving eggs... WE'RE ALL GOING TO END UP IN THE FREEZER!!!!!"

PS: We did find a small 1st egg in that box 2 days ago. Nothing since. But that's not unusual.

Attachments

• Egg box 1.jpg
    Egg box 1.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Egg box 2.jpg
    Egg box 2.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 4
  • Egg box 3.jpg
    Egg box 3.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Egg box 4.jpg
    Egg box 4.jpg