Let Sleeping Birds Perch

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Aug 11, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    My Polish chicks are now 3 weeks old and the Cochin Bantams are now 4 weeks old. They have all learned to perch very successfully because right from Week 1, I've included baby perches in the brooder so they learn balance, coordination, and what feels comfortable for them as they learn to perch. I've found that this also keeps them busy during the daytime, and there is something just different for them to keep themselves amused.

They are also at that age where they look not cute anymore, and are just lanky and growing all over the place. They look strange but I still love them, and I can't wait for them to outgrow this Grower stage and become the beautiful birds that they are meant to be.

Here is a series of my grower chicks, perching as they fall asleep. They don't mind my intrusive camera because by now, they are very used to it being in their brooder. And they really don't care if I am bothering them with it. Early conditioning with the camera and the flash helps them get over the novelty of it quick.

[​IMG]
    Here's a little busybody, peering into the camera as I'm trying to take the sleeping birds. This is my buff laced Polish, and he is moving all over the place right in front of my lens, I move left, he moves left, I move right, he moves right. He was the only baby not sleeping...

[​IMG]
    Some chicks like to sleep perching, some chicks prefer to sleep on the litter floor. I don't mind if they develop their own favorite places to sleep.

[​IMG]
    My female white Cochin Bantam snoozes away peacefully

[​IMG]
    My Gold laced polish nodding off in sleep, they look so cute even when they are asleep.. just wanna squeeze them all.

[​IMG]
    I know I shouldn't have favorites, but I can't help it, this particular silver laced bearded Polish is really growing on me. Not only is she/he beautiful, He/She perched on me, from my finger up to my shoulder today, for a long time, and didn't want to go away from me.

[​IMG]
    All the chicks preferring to snuggle together on the perch side of the brooder.

[​IMG]
    White Crested Blue polish

[​IMG]
    Let the sleeping birds perch...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Very adorable!

3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    awe!!!!! i have 4 week old polish and they are getting awkward looking [​IMG] i love them!!

4. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    Super cute pics! They are all just darlin!

You might want to think about something different for your roosts - - chickens are not birds that like to wrap their feet around - they would prefer a board that they can settle down on ........such as a 2X4 with the wide side up.........at this age a couple of 2x2's would work great for them - - -

5. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    So cute!

6. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Great pictures!

7. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    What a beautiful little flock of chicks. They are gorgeous. I hope next spring to have some like that. Where did you get them? I also put perches in their guinea pig cage when they were very young and they learned very quickly to get up on them but I only have 5.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Price-less! [​IMG]

9. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    oh I love your pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us!

10. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    OMG, how frickin cute

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by