1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Let the feed store do it, or buy an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by saddina, May 7, 2009.

1. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    The feed store down the road has a sign that they will incubuate eggs for you. Right now we're in city limits (hoping to fix that in a year or two) but untill then I'm limited to 5 hens. I'd like an Easter Egger or 2 for this spring. Eventually I'd like a larger flock, and to add turkeys, quail, muscovies, and geese, but that's in a year or 2. Should I ask for an incubator for mothers day, or ask for hatching eggs? I was thinking if I hatched them, I would keep a few and rehome the bulk, once I figured out who the girls are.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I think I'd ask for the incubator. Hatching eggs is lots of fun. You will get hooked, I'm telling ya! Lots of people on here will say the same. Try it, I bet you'll be so glad you did. [​IMG]

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I agree. I'd ask for the incubator. It's a lot of fun and exciting hatching your own eggs.

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Both!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You are probably eventually going to want an incubator to get the breeds you want. But with your present limitations, you might be better off buying some chicks from a local source, or http://www.mypetchicken.com/ or another hatchery that sells smaller quantities. Rehoming is not always easy and you do not give your location. Might look into how well that works locally. Many here have to give away excess roos, and do well to find people who will take them. Helps if you do not have a problem with eating them; your choice, of course.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    b.hromada :

I think I'd ask for the incubator. Hatching eggs is lots of fun. You will get hooked, I'm telling ya! Lots of people on here will say the same. Try it, I bet you'll be so glad you did. [​IMG]

DITTO!!! [​IMG] It's AWESOME!! And I'm only on day 5! I'm already building a hatcher, and ordering more eggs!! I think I need to be institutionalized!​

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    No, no issues in eating males, but I'm worried that I'll get "caught" over quota on girds during the grow out. [​IMG]

8. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:could always explain that u are going to sell them when they are bigger they might let u do that ?

9. I would totally go for the incubator ! Its so eggciting and so much fun watching the chicks pop out of their shells [​IMG]

10. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Yeah Incubator ...they store easily.... I think .......... I put mine away and now more eggs are on the way I have to get it back out it has been put away for 5 days. Once it gets started ......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by