Let the games begin! First attempt at hatching in 25 years.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bilder, Feb 8, 2013.

1. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Well I am in it now.

Got the redneck-abator all dialed in and made the drive over to a lady who sells eggs on craigslist to pick up some fertile ones. She was all apologetic that she did not have all brown eggs for me and was wondering if I would not mind a variety of eggs of various colors.

Oh, let me think about that one. Hmmm....are you kidding! Load me up! [​IMG]

Brought home three dozen eggs that range from white to brown to dark olive green. My kids are pretty excited with the variety and we are curious to see what hatches and what we end up with. The eggs come from a variety of hens, RIR, Sex Links, lops, rocks, and a polish or two. The roosters are all EE's so the colored egg gene is present in all the eggs we have. Should be a fun collection of mutt chickens due in March.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    GOOD LUCK!

YOU are in for lots of FUN!!!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Lucky you! It's not every day you get more than you bargained for with hatching eggs [​IMG] Have a look through this article if you feel like a long, but very informative read on incubating and hatching:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Have fun!

4. bilder

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Hmm,

The incubator is having a hard time holding temp since I added the eggs. Was holding pretty good at 98-100 degrees, now with the eggs in it is going between 95-99. Should I close a vent or two or bump up the thermostat a bit to compensate for the variance?

5. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Good luck!!!! [​IMG]

6. bilder

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Gave the thermostat a nudge and temp is back up to where it aught to be. I will have to revisit the placement of the thermostat after this hatch. Think it got bumped a little when the eggs were put in and may have messed with the setting.

7. bilder

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    After a week, we candled the eggs.

Of 30 that made it to the incubator, we have 23 confirmed embryo's with movement, 4 with shells too dark to candle properly, and 3 confirmed duds.

I am going to be a daddy!! The redneck incubator works! [​IMG] My daughter was absolutely fascinated with the candling process. She was doubtful until I held up the first egg and then it was all ooo's and ahhh's.

Going to have baby rabbits on the 26th and chicks on March 2nd. Going to be a busy week on the farm!

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YAY!!! I see Sumi already hooked you up with the Hatching 101 article!! Good luck with your hatch!!

9. bilder

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Candled at day 14.

I see movement in every egg I checked and the air cells are larger now. Only ones that are a mystery are the green eggs that are too dark shelled for me to candle properly.

24 seem to be developing nicely, 4 more are unknown.

They are due next Saturday/Sunday. Should be a fun weekend!

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by