1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Let the gender guessing begin ... in a while, yes, in a while.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mekare, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Mekare

Mekare Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2013
    Hi, I'm Cocoa Puffs. I'm one week old. The lady mommy and daddy got me from said I'm a Cuckoo Maran. I don't know what that means but mommy seemed to think that was pretty exciting. Maybe it means I'll be famous. I was wondering about one thing. Am I a boy or a girl?

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Cuckoo marans is a color type of marans. Marans, if of good quality, lay the dark chocolate eggs. The cuckoo marans tend to be some of the lighter egg color layers of the all the different colors of marans.

3. Mekare

Jul 7, 2013
    Thanks

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You can make a pretty good guess on Cuckoo Marans by down color, I think. The the boys are lighter with a bigger head spot and girls are darker with a smaller head spot. Ime, in a group of chicks the bigger the white spot the more likely it is to be a boy. They boys will be lighter from more white barring when the feathers start coming in also.

5. Mekare

Jul 7, 2013
    Ok. Thank you.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Too young to tell for sure.

7. Mekare

Jul 7, 2013
    I thought it might be. I figured I'd go ahead and get Cocoa Puffs' thread going so everyone can see her/his progress.

8. Mekare

Jul 7, 2013
    Cocoa Puffs is 2 1/2 weeks old. We're hoping she's a girl since we already have a roo and we don't want to overwhelm the ladies. Any breed or gender guesses? She's supposed to be a Cuckoo Marans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Too young to tell. Right now, though, I don't see any prominent red comb, so I'm going to tentatively say she's a pullet. Post photos again in 2-3 weeks; by then the sex should be obvious.

10. Mekare

Jul 7, 2013
    Thanks. I know, they're so little still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by