Let The Nerves Begin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DCMuffin, Apr 23, 2017.

1. DCMuffin

DCMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    OMG guys...so I finally let our insanely broody silky, Betty White, sit on eggs (first time letting a broody hatch). I figured that if she was gonna sit in the corner of the coop for days on end, she may as well make herself useful [​IMG] Here's my sweet girl :)

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, I walked into the coop to utter chaos, as Betty went RACING out of the coop with an eggshell in her mouth, then back into the coop to get on top of her eggs. As it turns out, an egg had broken inside the nest - how or why it happened, I'm unsure - and the little baby (formed, but eyes still sealed), was laying about a foot or so away from the nest. Anyway, everything has been fine so far with the rest of the eggs.

I went down this morning to do my morning check and the EGGS ARE CHIRPING! Gah! I'm a WRECK! lol

I have the brooder pen ready in the coop, should I need to move her and the babies if any of the others give her trouble. I'm most nervous about this, but I assume that she will protect them as best she can. Any special tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated...

....oh, and if anyone has a Xanax for this nervous gma, that would be great, too. [​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    She knows what to do.

3. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Yes, but that doesn't make it less difficult for me LOL

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Could you imagine sitting in one spot for 21 days? I would go insane.

5. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    LOL! She's so broody that she was sitting in one spot for about 3 weeks prior to my giving her eggs. She LOVES to sit, that's all she wants to do.

I was nervous that she wasn't coming out. I know that's ridiculous and in my head, I know that wasn't the case, but I swear, I NEVER saw her off those eggs. Ever. Thought for sure she was just going to wither away, die and leave me with a bunch of grandkids to take care of [​IMG]

6. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    My wife always takes food and water to the broody hens. They just sit there and eat never get up.

7. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Awww, they do. They just do it when you aren't looking. They don't do it often, but I guarantee that they are at one point or another, even if it's to simply get up, take a huge poop, get a quick bite and drink, then back to the nest lol.

Betty White is now so comfortable that she gets up for 15-20 minutes at a time to dust bathe and take care of business. She just runs back and checks on the nest. She's a good mama :)

8. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Four down and one egg left!!!! First one hatched yesterday, on day 20. I woke up this morning to three more fluffs. Oh my goodness...the cuteness is almost more than I can take LOL. So far, no sign of any pipping in the last egg so we'll see what happens. But, today is day 21 so maybe we've got a lazy one on our hands [​IMG]

9. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

10. DCMuffin

Jul 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Still one egg under Betty. No cracks that I can see, but we're waiting (im)patiently :) In the meantime, meet the rest of Betty's Bundle :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by