Let the Orpington projects begin! (Pics!)

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
Last night I separated my Black Orpington rooster, Diesel, with two White Orp hens and two Speckled Sussex hens in hopes of starting projects to breed White Orps and Jubilee Orps. Tonight I will be separating my Splash Orpington cockerel, Geronimo, with the only Black Orp pullet I have so that I can get some blues. Here are some pics:

Diesel- the monster that started it all:

whiteorps021.jpg

Diesel with his new girls:

whiteorps022.jpg

Pardon the bare head on the back of the Speckled Sussex- her former roo is rough on the ladies.

And Geronimo with his Black Orp pullet:

whiteorps023.jpg

If you ever tried to catch him at night loose in the yard you'd know why we call him Geronimo.
lol.png

Last edited:
You know which project I'll be watching!!

Are all sussex roos rough? My 2 are young yet, so I was hoping that was just it and they'd calm down. I think one of them will go eventually anyway because I want to keep one of the 3 from your eggs.

woot.gif
They are all just beautiful! I wish you tons of success with these projects. Orpingtons are such a wonderful breed to work with - the new colors here would be terrific. I can't wait to hear your progress.
clap.gif

Jody

Thanks Cyn. The white orps are 25 weeks old and the black pullet and splash cockerel are 23 weeks old. I can't believe how Geronimo looks better every day!

I found out that at least one of the white orps was laying (I'm guessing the one with the bigger redder comb) because my son found a pile of eggs yesterday with one of them sitting on it. The other free ranging birds aren't quite old enough to lay yet. My son managed to save eight of them before the dog ate the rest and I cracked two and believe that they have the bullseye in them so I will be putting them in the incubator.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing your progress. Great projects. I love the Jubliee color.

Thanks everyone! I have been holding off starting this because I was having incubator troubles but I have that all squared away now and am ready to go. I'll keep you updated. I can't wait!!

I love to see Suede's sons go on to father their own chicks. I'm very happy you like Diesel so much. I do see Suede in him, even with the different color. I was looking at the pic you sent me of Diesel as a youngster and I see Velvet in his face. I'm quite positive he's Velvet's son, not Skye's. Velvet is very typey, I've been told.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom