Let the Orpington projects begin! (Pics!)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Last night I separated my Black Orpington rooster, Diesel, with two White Orp hens and two Speckled Sussex hens in hopes of starting projects to breed White Orps and Jubilee Orps. Tonight I will be separating my Splash Orpington cockerel, Geronimo, with the only Black Orp pullet I have so that I can get some blues. Here are some pics:

Diesel- the monster that started it all:

[​IMG]

Diesel with his new girls:

[​IMG]

Pardon the bare head on the back of the Speckled Sussex- her former roo is rough on the ladies.

And Geronimo with his Black Orp pullet:

[​IMG]

If you ever tried to catch him at night loose in the yard you'd know why we call him Geronimo. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look great, Jared. And my own SS hen, Nelda, was bareheaded for months after her rooster left here so yours looks familiar, LOL.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You know which project I'll be watching!!

Are all sussex roos rough? My 2 are young yet, so I was hoping that was just it and they'd calm down. I think one of them will go eventually anyway because I want to keep one of the 3 from your eggs.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] They are all just beautiful! I wish you tons of success with these projects. Orpingtons are such a wonderful breed to work with - the new colors here would be terrific. I can't wait to hear your progress. [​IMG]

Jody

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks Cyn. The white orps are 25 weeks old and the black pullet and splash cockerel are 23 weeks old. I can't believe how Geronimo looks better every day!

I found out that at least one of the white orps was laying (I'm guessing the one with the bigger redder comb) because my son found a pile of eggs yesterday with one of them sitting on it. The other free ranging birds aren't quite old enough to lay yet. My son managed to save eight of them before the dog ate the rest and I cracked two and believe that they have the bullseye in them so I will be putting them in the incubator.

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing your progress. Great projects. I love the Jubliee color.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks everyone! I have been holding off starting this because I was having incubator troubles but I have that all squared away now and am ready to go. I'll keep you updated. I can't wait!!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love to see Suede's sons go on to father their own chicks. I'm very happy you like Diesel so much. I do see Suede in him, even with the different color. I was looking at the pic you sent me of Diesel as a youngster and I see Velvet in his face. I'm quite positive he's Velvet's son, not Skye's. Velvet is very typey, I've been told.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Can't wait to see what you hatch from those pairings! You know what I will be looking at!

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are lovely! I, like MissPrissy, can't wait to see what you hatch out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by