Let the showgirl odyssey begin! HATCHING 5/27 C'Mon in!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by insiderart, May 7, 2009.

1. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I received my showgirl eggs from Jaime McCallum yesterday. I let them get to room temp for about 9-10 hours and then I put them in the incubator.

This gives me a hatch date of 5/27. Looked like a lot partridge birds... my least favorite. But then again.... you never know what you will get if anything.

Now I am waiting for my eggs from trueblue that will be only a few days behind these.

Much to hubby's chagrin we went and bought another incubator so I'd have a hatching incubator for lockdown since I have so many sets at different times....

Can't wait to see if I get any showgirl chicks!!

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    No one wants to incubate and hatch with me?

I shall just be broody all by myself!

*pecks at people who look at this thread!*

makes soft clucking noises to self and eggs

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I put 12 silkie eggs in on the 6th. Also 3 Mille Fleur eggs. I'm excited about the silkies! I let them sit overnight after shipping... I've never tried to hatch shipped eggs before.
    I'm supposed to get a mix of colors, but I'm not sure what's what because I don't understand the codes written on the eggs! There are 3 with "W"s on them - I'm assuming those are white. There are a few with "L"s (?) on them. Maybe blue? I dunno... I can't figure it out. The rest have either what looks like maybe an "I" or possibly a "5" on them.
    I was able to figure out the 3 little ones that have "MF" on them are the Mille Fleurs. (I'm really proud of myself for figuring that one out! LOL!)
    I'll be a broodie with you.
    How many eggs are you incubating?

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I just got 18 showgirl eggs today!! I am going to let them set for another hour or so, then put them in the incubator! YAY![​IMG] Mine are suppose to be white. I hope we get good hatches!! I also have some awesome Naked neck eggs alredy in the incubator!!! There are alot more in there, but I can't remember them all!![​IMG]

5. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have 18 silkie eggs that are coming off 5/21 and 5/22. And I have 18 SG/silkie eggs these go off 5/27. And I expect to get 6 more SG tomorrow....

Yay! Welcome to our broody club!

6. insiderart

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Since all the eggs in the incubator need turning now I'm trying the "tilt the whole incubator" strategy. Pretty handy, but makes me nervous that someone is going to go by and knock it over!

7. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I thought about the "tilt-the-incubator" idea, but figured that with a 4 year old around the house, it could end up being the "scrambled-egg" fiasco! The incubator is closed up in the library (which is OFF-LIMITS to children) and I still occasionally find my daughter wandering in to "check" on the eggs.
    My son Gavyn (7) is keeping a journal of one of the silkie eggs to document its hatch. My daughter Persephone (4) picked a Mille Fleur egg to be her baby chicken. My kids get waaaay too excited about hatching eggs.
    Well, I guess I get pretty excited too. Whooo Hooo! Silkies!!
    [​IMG]
    Um, yeah, I guess I get a little excited.

8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    good luck w/ the hatches.I love my showgirls!! I try not to order more hatching eggs.. it is very hard to resist.I have 3showgirls,in the brooder,1splash silkie,4 st.cochins and 1 wyandotte.I 5m old white showgirl roo in the barn.

9. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I will go with you! I don't have silkies... but araucanas and ameraucans in the baters... but I am on a watch too.

10. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We're on the same schedule as you!...Storked arrived on the 6th with 8 babies(silkies!!!!), waited 10hrs, put in bator and anxiously await the 27th...Kim(wife) bought them for my birthday which is the 28th, so we're hoping for them to wait till then to make the whole even more special!

We look forward to traveling this road with you!

When do you plan on candling the first time?!??!

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by