Let them eat herbs! Any favorites or ones to be aware of not feeding?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LisaLy, Jul 10, 2016.

1. LisaLy

LisaLy Just Hatched

May 12, 2016
    Jacksonville, FL
    My girls love fresh herbs from my garden; I read from an author that most of them are good. Anyone have any issues with certain ones?

So far, I've given them basil, tarragon, sage, mint and the LOVE fennel leaves! I also heard that it leads to a much happy and healthier life for the hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    usually, chickens won't eat what is poisonous to them.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Fools wade in where wise men fear to tread. So I will attempt to foolishly wade in over my head.

Chickens love of greens is over stated. You can confine a hen and rooster in a 100 square foot pen with perfect turf or grass and a full feeder, and in only 48 or so hours there will be nothing left but overturned dirt and a few roots. That doesn't mean that all this green stuff was consumed, it only means that chickens when confined with nothing to keep them entertained can be extremely destructive. On this forum more than one "New Chicken Mom" has lamented the demise of her garden or flower beds at the feet of their new chicken children. Also chickens have a pecking response that they use to investigate their surrounds. Anything new that is introduced into the run will be investigated and often partially eaten but this in no way means that chickens either like, need, or want this material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by