Let them out in the garden area

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by vsmenagerie, Oct 8, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Today. The chicks that is! I wanted to give them more room, and its a nicely fenced, gigantic area. So far, they are loving it!!! roaming all about, flying around. I will be locking them up at night, in their small, fully enclosed pen.

We went out and sat down with them for awhile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Beautiful birds! Yup, they love to scratch around and check things out. I can't imagine not letting my girls out!

3. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I havent before, because, I was..well..chicken haha they were in their pen that we moved daily, if not twice a day. So they have had fresh grass and stuff for awhile. We have quite a few predators, in fact, a few days before I put them in there, a huge hawk went flying overhead [​IMG] I was like: OMG Maybe its a bad idea! LOL

They even seem to like the goat! I am hoping the goat helps deter anything that may think the chicks look yummy..

[​IMG]

4. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Cute! [​IMG]

5. stefzbiz

stefzbiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I really can't believe how long it took me to figure out that was a goats head.... I was like. what part/ kind of chicken is that?? I amaze my self sometimes how dingy I can be

6. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    In your defense, the goats head IS surrounded by chickens LOL

I was worried she would get mad at them, but nope! haha she was totally asleep yesterday, and the chicks were pecking the ground all around her haha

7. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Quote:LOL....i thought the same!!

The chickens are very cute!! I was also afraid to let them out of their run, so i let them free range for about an hour in the afternoon and an hour just before they go to bed. I just make sure myself or my boyfriend is outside to watch them.

8. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    I so wish my chickens could roam but my youngest son's dog wants to play with them and gets a little to rough. My old hound dog only wants to eat the chicken food. [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love the first photo. So peaceful. [​IMG]

10. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:That is another reason mine are not free ranging. Where they are right now, is a fenced area that is around 63' long x 37' wide [​IMG] Fenced with 2 x 4 wire.

I went to check on them a bit ago and not a chick to be found..they were all in their small pen. Im thinking something may have spooked them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by