Lethargic 1 week old chick

sphinxface

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
It's the first day home with us so maybe it's expected? She's an Iowa blue, keeps sleeping and flopping about, I thought at first she had a ballancing problem. I pushed her wing out of the water dish earlier and she just shook her head while the other girls ran away from my hand..

I've tried making her drink some probiotic water, that's the most she's moved lately...

This is my first batch of baby chicks so I'm just not sure if she's gonna be ok but I hope so. If she doesn't drink on her own how often should I try to help her?

I also worry about the other chicks walking on her ;( she got pinned in the corner earlier and didn't even try to get out just started peeping loudly...

Last edited:
It sounds like your baby girl is sick. Are her legs functioning okay despite her not wanting to move?
What is the temperature inside the brooder?

Electrolyte water and a cooked egg (hard boiled works well) are my two go to essentials for sick chicks. Offer small, bite sized amounts. I would advise you to start offering her food by hand ASAP. Try wrapping her in a clean sock or a soft towel and see if she will accept food from you. Chicks love being wrapped in something (not too tight of course), it makes them feel safe and secure.

Keep the baby warm and possibly separate her in the brooder if you think she's in danger of being trampled by the others.

Keep in mind not all chicks make it. Some are born with difficulties, not all make it to adulthood. All you can do is try your best.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

I've separated her but she's not really moving anymore, she still fights the water but doesn't open her eyes, I can move her head to the side and she doesn't do anything ;( I'm very sad.. I really dunno if she will make it...

She's doing very badly now, it seems to be progressing very fast... She won't even move her head, it flops to the side when I pick her up and she's struggling to breath... I'm almost certain she's not gonna survive even the rest of the day..

She just died... This is the saddest thing I think I've ever seen...

I'm very sorry to hear that she passed on. :hugs

I've lost several chicks the same way. It never gets easier to watch, especially losing one so young.

It is nothing that you had done, some just fail to thrive. :hugs

Thanks for saying that, I keep thinking maybe I should have tried to get her to drink more but she really hated it and I didn't want to stress her out too much... There is no right way I guess? It all
happened so fast though, is that normal?

Thanks for saying that, I keep thinking maybe I should have tried to get her to drink more but she really hated it and I didn't want to stress her out too much... There is no right way I guess? It all

Some die quickly, others linger. I've had one pass within minutes of bringing it home, I've had another live four days, and another who lingered for eight days, all had similar symptoms (lethargic, not good balance, no interest in food, etc.)

I've noticed the "actively dying" stage tends to come on very quickly. Sometimes you think they are doing better but suddenly they take a turn for the worst. This behavior is called "rallying" and is exhibited in many animals. Not all rally, but some do.

Some die quickly, others linger. I've had one pass within minutes of bringing it home, I've had another live four days, and another who lingered for eight days, all had similar symptoms (lethargic, not good balance, no interest in food, etc.)

I've noticed the "actively dying" stage tends to come on very quickly. Sometimes you think they are doing better but suddenly they take a turn for the worst. This behavior is called "rallying" and is exhibited in many animals. Not all rally, but some do.

Ya? I knew something was wrong with her the moment I saw her despite her efforts to act normal, pretending to eat and follow the other chicks around. The first attempt I had made to get her to drink she jumped out of my hand an ran away (I was holding her over the counter so it's not like she fell very far). Husband said she looked fine and was peeping and walking a little but ya... I knew when she started lolling her head and not protesting to anything that she wasn't gonna be ok... I buried her though.. I guess it's just bound to happen... Does it happen because of the move or is it just a thing that happens with any batch of chicks?

Back
Top Bottom