Lethargic 10 day old silkie chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fishermans wife, Feb 18, 2013.

1. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I hatched out 6 sillkie babies 10 days ago and all were doing great until yesterday when my favorite of the bunch started sleeping a lot, isolating itself, and looking generally lethargic. I have given it water with a bit of sugar, and chick saver, and it has eaten a tiny bit. They are getting medicated chick feed, today I blended carrots, feed and a bit of oil and HB egg (recipe from Silkie breeder), and it ate a tiny bit. It will wake from time to time and walk a little bit, but not at all as spunky as everyone else. This chick is quite a bit smaller than the others as well. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
  3. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I started them on Corid today. I haven't even seen it poop - checked to make sure there wasn't a blockage. It isn't getting any better. Hopefully the Corid will work and it will be better in the am. Thanks for your suggestion!

4. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I would be treating all of them that are in the same cage or pen. Maybe even seperate the loner, since it
    is the sickest.... (I wouldn't give sugar water or anything else to drink, since it's so important for them
    to be drinking the medicated water).
    During an outbreak the chicks MUST be kept clean and dry so as not to keep re-infecting themselves by
    contact with the wet droppings. If keeping them on shavings these should be changed at least every 24
    hours, preferably every 12 hours. If bloody droppings are present change the litter as often as you can to
    prevent the chicks ingesting the oocysts.
    Dryness of litter is vital. Coccidiosis thrives in the warm damp conditions which are readily created if
    chicks are under heat lamps with spilled water.
    I honestly don't know if you chick has coccidiosis, but it's always best to keep the area clean and dry...

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    A chick/chicken can have coccidiosis without blood in the poop.

6. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Thank you so much for your help! I started treating everyone with corid water yesterday, and am using an eyedropper on the weak one. It is better today. It finally started eating last night, and was perkier this morning. I am using shavings, and cleaning and changing constantly! It is amazing how fast those buggers make a mess!

For anyone else in my situation - I have also been using this recipe from a silkie breeder on chick care that they love - and the sick one seems to eat it much better (and eagerly) than regular chick food:

http://www.silkiechickens.co/New-Chick-Care.html

Excerpt:
    I mash up a hard boiled egg, grind a carrot or two up in the food processor, add a couple of drops of olive or vegetable oil, and add chick starter to that. The recipe is not mine, it came from another successful silkie breeder, and it helps keep the chicks from getting pasty butts. It also seems to really help chicks that aren't thriving.

Overall , we are not out of the woods, but I am encouraged by todays progress.

7. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Thank you! Good to know!

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG] for you!

9. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Thanks! Chick is still hanging around! I give it corid water with an eyedropper, and watch to make sure it is eating. It is not eating a whole lot, but not starving itself either! Tried scrambled egg yesterday, but just not that interested. I am encouraged that it is not getting worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by