Lethargic 12 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iluvmychickens, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hi everyone,

I had 2 chicks hatch 01/01/08. One is very fast moving, already fluttering around, when mom calls it goes running to her, eats and drinks well, and seems to have a normal poop. Its crop is normal in size

The other is very in active almost lethargic, it just sits around crying all day long. It does eat well, and drink well, and its poop looks normal to me, but other than that no activity at all even when mom calls it over. I noticed its crop was really really large and I just sat with the chick and massaged the crop for a good 30 minutes. It did appear to go down in size. I first thought it may be deaf but I tested that and it can hear and see fine

Could this crop enlargement have an efffect on the chick as far as its activeness?

Is there someting I can do so its crop does not get so engorged?

I really need some help on this. I have had chicks in the past but never any problems. I do not want to lose the baby.

Thank You,
    DeeDee

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, an impacted crop can make your chick lethargic. If you search "crop impaction" or "impacted crop" you will find various threads about it with lots of great information to help you.

Good luck with your baby!!! Let us know how it goes.

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by