Lethargic 15 weeks old Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noemi, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Noemi

Noemi In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    This afternoon I noticed my Barred Rock was lethargic inside the coop during the day and she even let me carry her which isn't normal on her. She is always full of energy and the last one going in the coop at dawn. I checked her from head to toe and she has no injuries. What it could be wrong with her? What I should do?

2. Do you have any ACV .....

Or Dramamine ?????

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How hot has it been any panting? If it has been hot bring her inside where it is cooler,give her electrolytes and monitor her. Have you ruled out egg binding or crop issues?

4. Noemi

Noemi In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    I don't know what is ACV? and I do have Dramamine. The weather is really nice out here and not hot at all. My other chickens are just fine and I do have electrolytes in their waters. I am very concerned about her because she is always full of energy more than the others.

5. Noemi

Noemi In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Should I give her one Dramamine? What you guys think she is having since isn't due to the heat. BTW she has been in the shade all day also. The temperature today was 85 with a nice breeze all day.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you checked for crop or egg binding issues? When did she last lay any eggs,when did she last eat/drink,what does her poop look like?

7. Noemi

Noemi In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    She haven't lay eggs yet she is only 15 weeks old. I saw her eat just a little bit and bit of water too. Her dropping are liquid looking with a lot of white on it. Do I need to isolate her?

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check her crop,is it full or empty,squishy or hard?

Have you recently introduced any new birds?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  9. Noemi

Noemi In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Three weeks ago I got three baby chicks but they have been secluded in a baby run. I just checked her and her dropping right now is completely white and runny. Her crop feels empty so I gave her a full body massage and placed back into the cage and she started to eat and drink a lot. Now she looks better and went to sleep. I think she went in a hunger strike on me.

10. Noemi

Noemi In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    I just checked her and she was alert like normal and she look so much better. She pooped solid and with good colors and now she is outside playing with the others. I think she didnt ate or drink yesterday. Apparently she need it a little of TLC from me. Thank you all of you guys for all the advice. Thank you! :):rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: