lethargic, 18 mo hen, wilted comb, droopy eyes, grey face, water poo

magentamomma

Songster
10 Years
Oct 26, 2009
Fayetteville
Ok 2 weeks ago a cockeral just died. He was fine and then he was very lethargic/limping hiding from the rest of the flock then he just died. I thought maybe injuries from fighting, but I didn't give it too much thougt. Now I have a 18 month old hen that is acting lethargic and nervous, hiding from me. When she went to roost tonight her face was gray, her eyes and comb were droopy, and she had watery diarhea. The poo was clear with white specks. They are in a coop/ pen. My flock is around 30 birds, plus a coupple dozen babies. I have been giving them layer pellets, with a snack of chick starter, and household scraps. I do not see any signs of the others being ill, no discharge from the eyes or nose, no sign of injury. What could this be?

Sounds like it might be mites? I lost one on the weekend to chicken mites...nasty buggers...symptoms...lethargic, aenemic looking, 'hiding'...mine had its head hidden between two peices of wood in the coup...I knew there was something wrong with her straight away as usually...u cant pick mine up...they just fly away...but this one was v. easy to pick up...dead give away right there!

Is your coup wooden? Apparently wooden coups are known for attracting mites...and they are noctornal, so not easy to spot. ideally you need to check 10chickens at random each week for mites by gentle blowing their feathers apart and you should be able to see them if they have any (mind you...they are smaller than a pin head...so blow GENTLY!!!

I have a hen that was lethargic, trying to stay our at night in the freezing weather under the coop and I finally had to take her into our garage hospital. Her poo is clear and watery. Her 2nd eyelid on both eyes is closed at all times and she is laying down a lot. What could this be symptoms Of? What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom