lethargic 2 week old chick - ruffled up - drooping head and wings - eyes half shut.

redvespa90

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
My chick is an EE chick about 2 weeks old. I bought her Sunday, March 10th.

She has been looking a bit more lethargic the past three days. When startled she perks right up (I'm assuming is survival instinct), but then goes back to looking miserable when she settles down to rest.
She has watery poop, and has had it since I bought her - I attributed it to stress due to transporting back and forth.
She does eat and drink when the other chicks eat and drink.

Housing:
plastic tote with heat lamp - food and water down at all times, cleaned daily.
pine chip bedding cleaned out every other day or if it gets wet, changed immediately.

EDITED TO ADD PICTURE -

Last edited:
My chick is an EE chick about 2 weeks old. I bought her Sunday, March 10th.

She has been looking a bit more lethargic the past three days. When startled she perks right up (I'm assuming is survival instinct), but then goes back to looking miserable when she settles down to rest.
She has watery poop, and has had it since I bought her - I attributed it to stress due to transporting back and forth.
She does eat and drink when the other chicks eat and drink.

Housing:
plastic tote with heat lamp - food and water down at all times, cleaned daily.
pine chip bedding cleaned out every other day or if it gets wet, changed immediately.
Sounds like cocci. I recommend you purchase Corid 9.6% liquid solution at your feed store, cattle section. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water. You can put the mixture in their waterer. It must be their sole source of water to drink. Let them drink it for 5 days, then provide regular freshwater.

Sounds like cocci. I recommend you purchase Corid 9.6% liquid solution at your feed store, cattle section. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water. You can put the mixture in their waterer. It must be their sole source of water to drink. Let them drink it for 5 days, then provide regular freshwater.
is it ok for the others to drink as well? is it also likely that the others have the same thing?

At first I was thinking she hurt her wing, because I went to gently spread them and she would not pull them back in. I do have two dogs, but they haven't been left unattended with the chicks ever.

is it ok for the others to drink as well? is it also likely that the others have the same thing?

At first I was thinking she hurt her wing, because I went to gently spread them and she would not pull them back in. I do have two dogs, but they haven't been left unattended with the chicks ever.

Yes it is safe for the others to drink it. Cocci can easily spread to the others. If she doesnt drink the treated water, you're going to have use an eyedropper with the mixture in it and put a drop or two on the side of her beak so she'll drink it. You'll have to do this about 5-6 times a day to be effective enough so that she'll eventually be able to drink on her own. A sick chick usually wont eat or drink, too weak.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom