lethargic 2 yr old Golden Buff hen with pale comb & watery stools.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosemariec615, Sep 5, 2014.

1. rosemariec615

rosemariec615 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    I have a 2 year old hen that has been slowly declining. Her comb is pale and she is lethargic. She had what looked like a stool scald on her behind and we have soaked her in a warm epsom salts bath to clear it up & treated the area with Betadine. Yesterday, I decided to separate her from the rest of the flock & noticed her stools are VERY WATERY. I had the vet check a stool which was negative. She was eating yesterday, but not so much today. I have given her some polyvisol that I had on hand when we had chicks.
    What else can I do to nurser her through this. She's more of a pet than a layer at this point and I DON'T want her to suffer. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Watery stools can be a sign of drinking a lot of water, especially if the temperature is hot. I would put probiotics in her water every other day. You could alternate with vitamin/electrolytes in the water on alternate days, and all may help with the diarrhea. Later, you can stop the electroltes when hot weather ends, and give the probiotic once a week. Probios Dispersible Powder and and Grow2Max are good brands of probiotics. Vent gleet can be a condition where there is redness, scalding, and diarrhea from a fungal infection of the GI tract, similar to a yeast infection. Nustock cream, a sulfur based cream from the feed store, or miconazole cream can be used externally on the vent to help clear it up. Here is a link to read in case that is what you are seeing: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

3. rosemariec615

rosemariec615 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    THANK YOU!!!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Each case of diarrhea and a red vent area is not vent gleet, but could be irritation from the diarrhea. Keeping feathers trimmed when hens have too much fluff near the vent sometimes helps. But a bare area below the vent that has red and white patches is usually a site of gleet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by