Lethargic 3.5 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Victoria-nola, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Victoria-nola

Victoria-nola Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    Southwest Mississippi
    Our (very first) broody hen hatched 8 beautiful chicks who have all been doing really well and are now 3 1/2 weeks old. But, one has been acting lethargic for 2 days, so now on the 3rd day I have brought it inside because on observation I could see that she was trying to cuddle under the hen whenever the hen got near her, which told me that she is cold (weather has been up and down, 40F nights then 75F days, 65F night and 55F day, just all over the place). She's in a bird cage I use as a hospital crate, covered to keep it quiet and dark, with hay bedding like she has in the coop with her mom. I have an infrared heat lamp on her set at 85F, food and water in cups. I have carefully dipped her beak in the water and she'll drink a little but isn't, to my knowledge, going to the water on her own. I have seen her eat a little, yesterday.

The hen has been taking them to the edge of the forest and they've been foraging under cover for hours every day, gradually exploring while sticking close to the barn area. They've had chick grit since their first day, are on organic Scratch and Peck Starter. Their water has Avia Charge (McMurry Hatchery product) in it, but they also drink the main water source which has apple cider vinegar in it.

Any thoughts? No pasty butt (on any of the chicks, at all), no idea what could be wrong. Doesn't appear to be contagious as all the other chicks are stronger than ever.

2. I have heard your not supposed to put more than one thing in the water at a time. (or two separate waterer with something different things in each) Doesnt sound like thats your problem though. Give the chick some hard boiled egg yolk. I use a dropper to water the chicks that arent drinking about every 1 1/2 hours. Just drop a little water on the side of the beak. Hope this helps! And if anybody is helpful you can give them a thumbs up. (bottom of their post)

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    My first thought of seeing the symptoms of lethargy, not drinking/eating, huddling, her age and she's been foraging with Mama, is Coccidiosis.

Symptoms of Cocci include lethargy, going off feeding, fluffed up appearance/huddling, diarrhea with mucous or blood and loss of balance. If she were mine I would treat with Corid -dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After she finishes treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Encourage drinking and if need be, syringe or tube fluids into her. If you haven't seen her drink, then she is most likely dehydrated. After she is properly hydrated, offer some wet chick starter.

Keep us posted.

2 people like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sure could be coccidiosis... Can you post some poop pictures?

1 person likes this.
  5. Victoria-nola

Oct 10, 2011
    Southwest Mississippi

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If she is readily eating dry chick starter that is good. Wet feed is usually a personal preference, but if she isn't drinking well, but still eating, wet feed can possibly get a little more liquids into her (chicks seem to love wet feed too). Push those fluids like you've been doing - getting her hydrated is most important.

Let us know how she's doing.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You probably want to get some amprolium (Corid, AmproMed, or Amprol). Mucus in poop is a symptom of coccidiosis. I just looked at the kocci free, and could not find any studies saying what strains of coccidia it treats.

8. Victoria-nola

Oct 10, 2011
    Southwest Mississippi

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear that she did drink on her own[​IMG] Tap the water bowl with your finger like you are "pecking" at it - this is sometimes encouraging and they will drink - chicks/chickens eat and drink in a group (flock). Since she is separated and alone - you will have to play the part so to speak. Also tapping food with the finger seems to work too - mine would happy peck and eat along with my finger when I did this. Just a thought.

During "down time" when you can have her with you, try adding a stuffed animal to her crate and a mirror like they have for caged birds - I've read this can sometimes be comforting and they like to look at themselves.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by