Lethargic 3-yr old Australorp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aschuchert, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Aschuchert

Aschuchert Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    Tempe
    3 Australorps, 2 Americaunas 3-yrs old
    We have 1 slow moving, slighly puffy, non drinking or eating hen. She stopped laying 2 days ago, but its winter & didnt expect them to be laying at all, unseasonably warm in Phoenix this year so when they stared laying again early Dec after a healthy molt it was a surprise.
    She is staying close to the flock and we had no sign of blood in droppings, but they are smaller than usual.
    We just finished worming them (2-rounds) at Thanksgiving. It has been dreary-cloudy for 3-long week. Also unusual in Phoenix.
    Any thoughts?
    Much appreciated, Clan Yogurt.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    She could have respiratory strain, puffy is one sign, and slow movement.

Is she molting? Some chickens will become very unsocial and lethargic while molting, but generally try eating more to help feather growth.

3. Aschuchert

Nov 3, 2014
    Tempe
    Hmmm, she just finished a naturally slow molt, checked for mites - none, and eyes clear & bright. Shes sticking close to her flock and has a bright red comb - usually she fades to pink when not laying. No coughing either. So confusing... started a couple of drops of oergano oil in their water this morning...if she'll drink... Any other thoughts are welcome.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Just because she is not sneezing/coughing, does not mean she doesn't have a respiratory illness.

There a few symptom's-One being they flat out drop dead, sneezing/coughing, acting lethargic, foamy eyes,diareah, and a few others in this article.Respiratory Illness in Chickens - dummies

5. Aschuchert

Nov 3, 2014
    Tempe
    Thanks, i get that so I guess it's time to clean out the isolation coop and get her settled in and keep an eye on her and the flock.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she drinking?
    How does her abdomen feel - any signs of bloat, feeling of fullness, fluid filled?
    Is she moving around much, walking like a penguin, tail held down?
    What does the poop look like?
    She stopped laying 2days ago - were her eggs normal?
    Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?
    Can you post photos of her and the poop?

Make sure she is staying hydrated. Separating her is a good idea - this lets you monitor her water/feed intake, inspect her droppings and take note of any symptom(s), odd behavior.
    Offer her normal feed, add some poultry vitamins to her water if you have them. Give some chopped egg or tuna if she won't eat her normal feed.

Keep us posted.

7. Aschuchert

Nov 3, 2014
    Tempe
    We are prepping the isolation coop now.
    Haven't seen her drink, so we set out the chickens waterer with vitamins & change water daily.
    Checked her, not really feeling bloated, crop feels empty, though she was eating greens & feed regularly yesterday.

Droppings were normal to slightly wetter than norm and no blood, smallish for her tho. I inspect droppings daily.

Once we isolate will post photos.

She does move about, tail lower, no change in her stance or walking.

Hard to tell while eggs were hers, 2 of our girls lay almost identical eggs, she 1 one them. But normal size and shape. Plus she only started re-laying after molt 1.5 weeks ago, only had 4-6 eggs.

No flock additions, but they free range in morn in afternoon. We do worry about wild doves spreading disease.

Thanks for support.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing?

9. Aschuchert

Nov 3, 2014
    Tempe
    Answer: she's acting normal, eating, drinking, laid an egg, and spunky as she was before our scare.

Never saw any worse symptoms & don't have answers. I did massage her abdominal area to check for swelling, maybe I helped adjust an egg????

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, helps us look for additional symptoms.

All the best, clan yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by