Lethargic 4 1/2 mo old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laura877, Oct 18, 2011.

1. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    My daughter gave me 10 chicks to raise for her and then she would pick out the best for her breeding program. They were born June 1st. Around July I had one get lethargic and I thought it was due to it being so dry and it got dehrdrated. I nursed it back to the point that it was walking and eating and never thought anything more about it. Then it came up missing. Now I have a hen acting the same way. She is wasting away. Her crop is empty, she is way down in weight but yet she stilll gets around good. Its just that she goes off by herself and sits. I don't see any lice.

I just went to the barn and force some yogurt down her throat along with some chick feed that I had handy. I have about 20 or 30 chickens (including all the chicks) that are all free ranging. They have access to water in a stream at all times. No one else seems stressed or lethargic. She has layer mash available at all times and I feed 1 scoop of scratch to all of them. Her breathing is labored. She has her mouth open and is just huffing away.

Any suggestions as what to try next? I hate to lose her as she was breed quality so far.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    I went down and fed my hen some egg and whey protein powder mixed with some yogurt last night before I went to bed.. She seemed to be doing better after that but this morning she was dead.

3. 3scorpios

3scorpios Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    I'm really sorry to hear about your chicken. I have one acting similar right now and I'm hoping to figure out what's wrong with her before it's too late.

4. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    So sorry about your chicken! Poor thing..... [​IMG]

I've read about this kind of thing on here before. I think it's called "Gap Worm". It's something they pick up while free ranging (I think). I also think it's highly contagous. Do a search on here for it and see what you will find.

I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by