Lethargic 5 month old Legbar cross - need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsayles86, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jsayles86

jsayles86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Danville, NH
    I am very new to chickens and my current 5 month old flock is my first.
    3 days ago one of my Legbar cross hens was panting a lot and looked pale in the face. I gave them all iced water and frozen blueberries. She did eat and drink with the others. However over the next two days she was staying in the run or coop rather than join the others free ranging. Although the weather is no longer hot, she still seems to pant a lot. I have not seen any abnormal poop.
    Any ideas? Should I separate her in a pen of her own? I just don't know what to do for her.

The first two photos are of my sick hen. The last photos are my well hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be heat stress, but it also could possibly be coccidiosis or worms. Cocci symptoms are standing puffed up with neck pulled back into shoulders, lethargy, diarrhea, and appetite starting to go down. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp of liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon of water, for 5-7 days, as the only water source. Afterward treat with probiotics and vitamins for 3 or more days. For worming, SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/2 ml by mouth once, and repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is 14 days after the last dose. For heat stress, I like to make sure there are more than 1 waterer, and I like flat pans of water for them to step in to cool their feet. Of course if you chose to treat for cocci, the extra water pans should wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by