Lethargic 6 month old Cucoo Marans

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jynx21, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Jynx21

Jynx21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    I have a flock of 11, 2 1-yr old hens and a 1 yr old roo and 8 pullets about 6 months old. One of my pullets is acting sluggish and moving slow, her color is pretty normal and nothing is swollen, her poo is a bit runny but normal colored, she does have a runny nose but no sneezing. Is there something wrong or is she just a touch under the weather and could anyone offer some advice on how to perk her back up.
    Thank you in advance.
    Janis

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Has she started laying yet? Feel for a stuck egg... Also, if she has a runny nose, I would give her some Tylan50 injectable,1/2 cc under skin of neck, it is for respiratory illness, which she may be developing. Listen to her lungs for wheezing.

3. Jynx21

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    No she hasn't started laying yet, I think that is still a couple weeks away, but I will check for something stuck just in case and I will listen to her for wheezing. Where can I pick that up my feed store or a Vet?
    Thank You
    Janis:)

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Tylan 50 you can get at most feed stores or TSC. It is a inject able for cattle, and will be in the cattle section.

5. Jynx21

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    The hen is getting worse, she is listless, cannot open her eyes, walk or stand. Her neck is crooked back and she cannot hold it up. She is breathing fine, reacts when you touch her, swallows and fusses when you spred her wings. She has tried to stand a couple of times, and is getting closer to doing it. Her name is frosty, and she is being one tough chick. We are going to buy some nutradrench, will this help? Any input on what we should try?

6. Jynx21

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    Nevermind, she just died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by