Lethargic 6-week-old chick, presumptive coccidiosis

swamphiker

Crowing
Feb 24, 2020
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have a group of sixteen 5-6 week old chicks who have been transitioning to the outdoors over the past couple of weeks, tonight is set to be their first night out in the coop since they are pretty much fully feathered (minimum temp tonight is 42ºF). I first noticed that one of my 6-week old EEs is lethargic about an hour ago, I had to run to a couple of work meetings but will be treating their water with Corid by 4pm today (about 4 hours after initially noticing symptoms).

All of the other chicks seem okay and I haven't seen any bloody or abnormal poop, but I know that coccidiosis is still a likely culprit. I will be sure to only offer Corid water and to make it fresh daily. I will be keeping a close eye on the sick chick and will give her water with a dropper if she doesn't seem to be drinking on her own.

A couple of questions:
-Should I separate the sick chick? She doesn't seem to be getting picked on, but they are outdoors where daytime temps are in the mid-60s.
-Should I add a heat lamp?
-Anything else I should be doing that I haven't though of yet?

Last edited:

Offshoreorca

Whale Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
Apr 15, 2020
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
It's always good practice to isolate the lethargic chick just incase it isn't cocci - though with the change of going out in the coop and the age it certainly is a likely culprit.

Make sure you clean out the brooder/coop area for them really well and keep it clean. Increased intake of faecal matter leads to a higher cocci load, which in turn will increase the chance that others get really ill. At this point, it's safe to assume that they all have it, though this one chick might. be inherently weaker and therefore be more quickly affected (and have no resistance).

Providing heat is never a bad thing if you are worried that they might need help transitioning. I usually use a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp because of the fire risks.

swamphiker

Crowing
Feb 24, 2020
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Update: I'm glad I started Corid when I did; this morning I found a little bit of blood in a couple of droppings. The previously lethargic chick is acting normal again and everyone else seems okay so far too. Hopefully it stays that way and I will be sure to do the full 5-day amprolium treatment.

Top Bottom