1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic 6 Week Old Cockerel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I hatched out some chicks in December. I gave away all but three to a person a week or two ago. I wanted a rooster, so the lady just gave me one of the rooster chicks back. When she dropped him off, she dropped him off in a paper bag with a peice of bread at the bottom. She then told me how the chicks enjoyed bathing with her grandson. I was shocked, I felt terrible for the chicks! I was dumbfounded.

Now the one I got back just lays there, his crop is empty. When you pet him, he doesn't usually cheep like the others.

What can I do?
    [​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Get him back on chick starter right away! Get him back in the brooder or someplace at least 75* Make sure he is drinking water, you can use an eye dropper if he won't. put "save a chick" or some electrolytes in the water too.

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I forgot to mention she was already putting then outside in real cold weather. He's been on the heatlamp since I got him back.

I put some vitamins in the water, and he's eating some chick starter.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    He will probably recover just fine. I feel sorry for the other chicks that lady has. Maybe you could mention to her that you found a great website on how to raise chickens called BYC. Maybe she will look around on here and see what she is doing wrong. it sounds like she regards the chicks as entertaining toys and doesn't understand what they need. Good luck to you and little roo! [​IMG]

5. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Okay thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by