1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Lethargic 7 week old meatie. Should I harvest her?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Engteacher, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Just today I noticed one of my cornish cross hens is hunkered down next to the food and water. She can get up on her legs, but flops back down after two steps. I'm wondering if she is in pain, but can't say. She pants but it's only 74 outside and none of the rest seem to be panting. I know joint issues come up as they get to be a certain size, but she's smaller than the rest of the flock. I'm wondering if we should just harvest her now. Should she just be culled?

This is our first time raising meat birds, so we don't know how far afield this is from "normal."

What would you do?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    butcher now.

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:Agreed.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Cull and enjoy

5. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    I had this happen a few times with my last batch. Harvest her ASAP! I noticed that all of the ones that I harvested that exhibited these symptoms had fluid inside the pericardium. (Between the heart and the membrane surrounding the heart.

This is one aspect to Cornish Crosses that's hard to deal with. Their internal organs just don't keep up with their muscle/body growth.

I'd be interested if you post your harvest report with respect to the internal organs.

Dan

6. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    I dispatched her this morning before breakfast. Her organs looked normal, although the bag around her heart did seem bigger and looser than normal.

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone!

7. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Thanks for the harvest report. [​IMG]

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by