Lethargic 8 WK old pullet

SASnCoBYC

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Illinois
Have a brahma pullet that has been doing poorly today. My husband notice she went back into the coop this morning but when I came out for lunch he thought she was back out and about. I noticed a bit ago she wasn't chilling with the rest of our 8weekers and found her by herself not looking good in the coop. She drank some when I carried her out to the water bucket and has eaten some crumble I brought to her. No obvious sign of injury. Her crop is squishy. Does that mean something?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Is it terribly hot? At her age, I would think it could be coccidiosis. Symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny poops with either mucus or blood. The treatment is Corid in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Try feeding her a little wet feed with a bit of yogurt. Most chicks with coccidiosis do not want to eat because of the pain in their gut. Some chicks with coccidiosis have mushy crops due to the slowdown of the digestion. If it is not coccidiosis, the Corid will not hurt her or the others to treat.

SASnCoBYC

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Illinois
Is it terribly hot? At her age, I would think it could be coccidiosis. Symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny poops with either mucus or blood. The treatment is Corid in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Try feeding her a little wet feed with a bit of yogurt. Most chicks with coccidiosis do not want to eat because of the pain in their gut. Some chicks with coccidiosis have mushy crops due to the slowdown of the digestion. If it is not coccidiosis, the Corid will not hurt her or the others to treat.
We've had a lot of rain. So that has been One of my worries. I haven't seen her poops today, but a couple others I have seen last couple days have had very watery poops. I do have corid on hand, will get the waters treated.

Top Bottom