Lethargic 9month old EE hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motherhenfran, Nov 30, 2014.

1. motherhenfran

motherhenfran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    My 9month old easter egger, Barbara has been lethargic for the past few days. I myself have had the flu soy dad has mainly been watching them while I get better. I went outside to check on them yeatetday and noticed she was moving slower than usual and would sleep an awful lot. I brought her inside to be seperated and so she could be watched. She has a mix gatorade and water and also blueberries and grain to eat. Earlier yesterday her grabbing when I was feeding was very delicate and that's not like her. Once separated, she ate most of the blue berries and drank alittle bit of the water mix. I left her there to rest a few hours thinking maybe she was just tired/dehydrated.

This morning (I let her out yesterday before bed time and she went back with the flock and ate/drank/got to bed just fine) she wouldn't come down from her perch and was hunched together and sleepy again so I brought her back in. She isn't eating or drinking anything and is very sleepy. Since it's Sunday my avian vet is closed but I will be taking her first thing in the morning tomorrow.

I plan to try to feed her some egg/grain/apple/honey mix and was going to needleless syringe "sav-a-chick" fluid in her in hopes to perk her up. She'll be sleeping inside tonight.

Her poop has been fairly mucousy and has tinges of blood in it so I'm thinking it might be cocci (my newest chick had it and was treated but you never know how/what can spread) or a crop infection. My roo had one at 3months old and had very similar behavior.

If anyone has a similar experience I'd appreciate your input and am always welcome to tips/advice. Thanks BYC!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have Corid or amprollium left over from the previous coccidiosis case, then I would give her some tonight. If you have the liquid, give her a couple of drops now, and repeat in the morning. If you have powder, take 1.5 tsp, add water to make 2 tsp--then give her 2 drops of that mixture. Besides coccidiosis, she could have capillaria or hair worms, or necrotizing enteritis which can cause blood in the droppings as well. Capillaria worms are treated best with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. The vet is a good idea. I would skip the feed and only give her electrolytes or Corid tonight, or maybe just a bit of egg only. She needs the fluids more tonight. Let us know how things go with the vet.

3. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    I have some left over but it was for a chick who was about 6weeks old. My vet did the math for what it would be to give the dose to my roo (who was exposed to her) and it would be about 30doses of the liquid to equal out to the dose per weight. My EE hen obviously isn't the size of my roo but I doubt what little liquid meds I have left will help her at all..it's only about 10oz and when the baby was getting it she was taking about 4oz.

Should I try the sav-a-chick or just stick to some diluted gatorade? I've never used to before and would hate for it to make her worse. I've got berries/apples/honey in her little house with grain and she isn't eating it so I won't force it on her but I just hard boiled an egg and was going to mash it up and try to get her to have atleast a few bites

4. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Currently sleeping/sitting on my lap. Very sleepy. Eyes are heavy. Ate more than 5 bites of mashed egg. Not wanting fluid so not trying to force her and stress her out

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  5. Henagerie

Henagerie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    McPherson, Kansas
    Just popping in to wish you luck. She's a beautiful bird, I hope she pulls through.

6. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    @Henagerie thank you. She is beautiful and she has the softest feathers and prettiest light teal eggs. She is alittle more lively. Hoping the vet has a solution in the morning

7. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    Update: went to the vet this morning. Dropped her off around 830 and left her for observation. She was given fluids and they tested a stool sample I collected last night. No parasites/worms. Just an imbalance or infection in her crop. She is out with the others now (3 other hens and one roo..the 3month old hen is too young to be left alone with them or else they'll tear her apart) and she's doing fine. Alittle sleepy but that is expected. A little bit of fighting/jumping on eachother when she got home. She's towards the top of the pecking order so she had to re-establish who is boss [​IMG]. She has meds to take twice a day until meds are gone. Doctor says she will be just fine [​IMG][​IMG] thanks for the support everyone!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Glad you got some veterinary help. I'm sure that it relieves your mind to know what is going on. Hope she feels better.

9. motherhenfran

Jul 25, 2014
    @Eggcessive definitely relieved to know she will be fine. She seems to be perking up as well [​IMG]

10. Henagerie

Henagerie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    McPherson, Kansas
    Hooray!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by