lethargic ameraucana pullet ***Update*****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huntercf, Jun 24, 2010.

1. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I have a pullet who has become lethargic, she is still eating and drinking but is not quite herself. She wants to sleep most of the time and before she would run away from me but now I can pick her up with very little argument. I gave her some water mixed with sugar and orange juice and put her in the sun. In my arms she rested her head on my arm and went to sleep. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Her stool is a clear liquid, with a little green and white.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmm....could you put some vitamins/electrolites in her drinking water? Is everybody else OK? Sometimes you just never figure out what's wrong. One thing....citrus is very hard on a chicken's digestive system, so I probably wouldn't give her any juice. Maybe some yogurt would be good for her if you can get her to eat some.

Did you look her over real good? No mites or lice? Has she ever been wormed?

3. huntercf

May 17, 2010
    Thanks, I will stop the OJ, I haven't wormed her yet and will give that a try as well as the yogurt. I checked her for mites and lice and didn't see any. The rest of the flock is doing fine. Much appreciated.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Well, I sure hope she gets better for ya......

5. huntercf

May 17, 2010
    Thank you for your help, I am happy to say my little hen is back to normal. Thanks again. [​IMG]

6. bad

bad Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    I have an ameracauna pullet that is doing the same thing. Seems to be eating and drinking but wants to sleep standing up. Not usually able to catch this particular pullet but now I can with no problems. I seperated her from the others just in case. Not sure what is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by